We like our food seriously spicy. Our favorite local taco spot always has a habanero relish on hand that we go loco for. We made our own version and added bitter radicchio leaves to add an extra layer of flavor. Crazy spicy, tangy, and oniony, this relish goes great atop fatty meats like carnitas and carne asada. But be warned! If you're making this at home, you need to either wear gloves or just be extra careful with the peppers--habaneros will make your fingers burn for days after exposure.
4-6 habanero peppers depending on preferred spice level
1/2 white or red onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp thinly sliced radicchio
- Thinly slice onion and place into a bowl
- Carefully slice habaneros into thin pieces. Do NOT include the seeds unless you really want to set your mouth ablaze
- Add radicchio, salt, and sugar
- Squeeze juice from both limes and mix well
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. The onions will release quite a lot of juice as it sits. Flavors will intensify and blend together after just a few hours.