If you ask us, not much can beat a simple sweet cake when it comes to a tea time snack or light dessert. This one has the bright flavor of orange plus the aromatic, sensual quality of cardamom. Plus, it's sources of fat are yogurt, eggs, and olive oil! So it's healthier than regular cake, right?
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour + 2 tbsp for dusting
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 3/4 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Thoroughly butter a loaf pan. Dust with about 2 tbsp flour and tap out the excess.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, cardamom, and salt.
- Add orange zest to sugar and mix, then combine this with the yogurt, olive oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well blended. Fold in the dry ingredients just until they’re combined.
- Pour the batter into pan. Bake in the center of the oven until top of cake is golden brown and a tester poked into center comes out clean, about 50–55 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Then invert it onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.